In a place like Dubai, it seems that flying taxis and robot police officers just simply aren’t enough. This week Dubai Police caught the attention of the world’s media, again, by adding a new vehicle to their fleet: a flying motorcycle.
The hovering motorbike is called Scorpion and looks like it’s been pulled straight out of a scene from Back to the Future. A few fun facts:
- Vehicle weighs 300kg
- It can currently travel for 25 minutes
- There’s room for 2 pilots
- It can fly as high as five metres with passengers (and up to 6 kilometres unmanned)
- Can reach speeds of up to 70 km/h
- Fitted with 8 cameras that link directly to a police station
Dubai Police are taking off…
According to Hoversurf – the Russian tech company behind the airborne vehicle – the vehicle “passed successful tests in extreme conditions – dust and heat.”
Dubai Police plan to start using the vehicles in the next 2 years. There are plans underway for robots to make up 25% of the police force on the ground… and in the skies apparently.
What would your first reaction be to a flying motorcycle? Share your (hilarious) thoughts in the comments!